Green Telecoms - the mitigating effect
The partners in Green GEANT have introduced and completed initiatives aimed at reducing environmental impacts in general and emission of GHG in particular in their networking and computational infrastructure. These initiatives that are related with the operators’ perspective on increasing energy efficiency are related with the following areas:
- Videoconferencing that is seen by many stakeholders as an important way of reducing environmental impacts and climate change. With high-quality equipment, videoconferencing can substitute face-to-face meetings that otherwise would require short or long transportation, often by demanding means such as airplanes.
- Virtualization that is becoming more and more interesting also from an environmental point of view, on both the national, regional and global level.
- Energy-aware traffic engineering that is related with the application of network traffic engineering that also includes in its objectives the energy consumption of a network in order to develop mechanisms which achieve the same performance as the energy-oblivious approaches at a lower overall energy cost.
- Energy efficient techniques for reducing energy consumption in data centers. Power Usage Efficiency (PUE) is a well-known key factor in all networks and data centers, both from an environmental and economic point of view.
- Distance working that is made possible through ICT solutions, thereby avoiding transportation to work and home again.